From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:43:09 -0400
This message was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L list
at
LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.   It was edited to remove hypertext formatting.

----------------- Original message (ID=EB380BF2) (97 lines)
-------------------
From: "Marc Sevigny" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "bee" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "Ernest J. Gregoire" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: undrawn foundation dilemma
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:32:39 -0400

Hello, I live in Massachusetts and would like advice about a condition I
have in one of my hives.

The hive is mean, and therefore has been neglected.  This week, I went to
take a look at it to see how well prepared it is for winter.

The bottom brood chamber looks good, nice brood pattern, plenty of pollen
and honey.  But the upper brood chamber is only about 20% drawn.  There were
two full honey supers above the foundation that the bees were using for
brood and honey.  Those have since been converted to all honey after placing
a queen excluder beneath them after isolating the queen.

I had assumed that this would stimulate the drawing out of the foundation
for the top brood chamber but this has not happened.  So the hive does not
have enough foundation/honey to make it through the winter.  Furthermore,
only aster and goldenrod are providing nectar at this time, and that will
slow down very shortly.

I do not have extra brood chamber comb (drawn) to give them.  I could give
them medium supers to use, but those have all been extracted.  I could feed
them, too, if that is necessary.

I have about 60 pounds of honey that was extracted and kept as feed since it
was not fully capped or reduced (too thin).  Can I use this as feed?  If so,
how do I introduce it to them so as not to stimulate robbing or other
aggressive behavior since the odor of the honey will drift to other nearby
colonies?  (I do have a division board feeder that can be placed below the
inner cover).  Does one need to water down the honey prior to feeding?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Marc
Harvard, Massachusetts