Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 02:09:26 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (112 lines)
At 02:57 PM 6/6/96 +0000, you wrote:                                            
>Bruce Kemp wrote:                                                              
>                                                                               
>> I'm new to the list.  There seems to be quite a few of us.  I have           
>> been into bees for a year now and live in Virginia in the USA.  I            
>> understand there is quite a varroa mite problem here they carry a            
>> virus that has wiped out most of the hives around here...                    
>>                                                                              
>> So to summarize my questions:                                                
>>                                                                              
>>         1.  Is the virus wide-spread?                                        
>>         2.  Do other things cause the virus besides varroa?                  
>>         3.  What are patties?                                                
>>         4.  What to do about tracheal mites?                                 
>>         ...                                                                  
>                                                                               
>Ted Fischer responded:                                                         
>                                                                               
>> 1) I don't believe that the question is settled as to whether or not         
>>    the varroa mites carry a virus or they themselves cause all the           
>>    destructive effects we're seeing in infested colonies...                  
>>                                                                              
>> 2) Virus or not, these effects are seen only in varroa infested              
>>    colonies.                                                                 
>>                                                                              
>> 3) Patties are made of vegetable shortening and sugar, and were              
>>    originally made as a vehicle for the introduction of terramycin           
>>    into the colony for foulbrood prevention, since terramycin breaks         
>>    down easily except in the presence of fats.  It was subsequently          
>>    noticed that tracheal mite populations were diminished in hives           
>>    containing these patties, and that the control patties without the        
>>    terramycin had the same value in limiting tracheal mites.                 
>>                                                                              
>> 4) The easiest way to control tracheal mites, therefore, is to put           
>>    patties in the hive after the supers are removed.  This will              
>>    control both foulbrood diseases as well as tracheal mites.  The           
>>    mites are mainly a problem in the fall, when they build up and            
>>    adversely affect the winter bees.  Putting patties in the hives at        
>>    this time of year is by far the best thing to do for tracheal             
>>    mites.  Patties are commercially available (Terrapatties) or you          
>>    can make your own (a 3 lb can of shortening blended with 5 lbs of         
>>    sugar and a small packet of Terramycin (TM25))....                        
>>                                                                              
>> Ted Fischer                                                                  
>                                                                               
>Now, Aaron Morris adds way more than 2 cents worth, with apologies             
>in advance to those who have read it already.                                  
>                                                                               
>At the risk of wasting bandwidth to repost recent information from             
>this forum and sci.agriculture.bees, I'm posting the following excerpt         
>from the May issue of the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association           
>newsletter (which I author and shamelessly steal from both electronic          
>forums information that may be of value to beekeepers who aren't               
>connected).  The points I want to get across are 1) mites as a vector          
>in spreading viruses and 2) the possibility that grease patties                
>(vegetable oil and sugar with no other medications) may be a deterrent         
>to tracheal mites and such patties (with no other medications) may be an       
>appropriate treatment throughout the honey producing season.  Please           
>note these are not my original ideas, speculation abounds, and the bee         
>scientists readily admit that they too do not have definitive answers to       
>the whys and wherefores behind these issues.                                   
>                                                                               
>As Rod Serling would say, "Submitted for your approval..."                     
>                                                                               
>                   >-----------------<                                         
>                                                                               

This was posted to the list on May 1st this year                                

Approved-By: Joseph Cooper <[log in to unmask]>                                
Date: Wed, 1 May 96 17:08:16 +0000                                              

List readers who want to follow up on Allen Dick's recent posting as to the     
use of grease in the control of tracheal mites may want to look at:             

Diana Sammataro, Susan Cobey, Brian H. Smith and Glen R. Needham,               
"Controlling Tracheal Mites..In Honey Bees..With Vegetable Oil," _J of          
Economic Entomology_, 87, (4): 910-16 (1994).                                   

The abstract reads in part:                                                     

"Field experiments ...between 1991 and 1993 demonstrated that treating          
colonies of honey bees...continuously with vegetable oil depressed              
populations of tracheal mites....Oil patties were made from a combination of    
solid vegetable oil (shortening) and white sugar, with or without the           
addition of [Terramycin]."                                                      

References cited in this article include at least two other directly            
relevant papers.                                                                

**********************                                                          
       Joseph Cooper                                                            

[log in to unmask]                                                          

I recently read that DR Deleplane co-authored a paper concerning the use of     
grease patties for "T" mite control in summer.  He recommends a mixing 2        
parts Crisco or other vegetable shortening to 1 part powdered sugar.  Press     
into patties between waxed paper and insert over the brood nest.  Make sure     
that the shortening is 100% vegatable oil and not animal fat. Measurements      
are by weight.  Granulated sugar can also be used if you prefer.                

I will try to get a copy of the article and post it to the list.  Also if       
possible I will try to get a cop of the paper at the seminar next week and      
post it to the list                                                             

Frank Humphrey                                                                  
[log in to unmask]                                                      
Franklin D. Humphrey Sr.                                                        
[log in to unmask]                                                        

ATOM RSS1 RSS2