From:
"Paul van Westendorp of AGF 576-5600 Fax: 576-5652" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:24:05 -0700
--Boundary (ID QggZXJK/ByJKReGutOOFZA)

--Boundary (ID QggZXJK/ByJKReGutOOFZA)

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:23:10 PDT
Subject: St. Ambrosius
A1-type: DOCUMENT

    Re. St Ambrose & the Bees

    Ted Wout, Bill Hughes and others made reference to St. Ambrose (=St.
    Ambrosius).  We now have a pretty clear picture of what the man did in
    the fourth century in northern Italy.  To Roman Catholics, the most
    significant fact was that St Ambrosius excommunicated the Pope following
    the massacre as mentioned before.   To beekeepers, St. Ambrosius became
    their Patron Saint because of the legend that when he was a baby
    resting in some cradle, a swarm of bees apparently landed on his chest
    without causing any harm.  (Of course, the legend does not explain what
    happened eventually with the swarm).

    It is this legend that led to the practise in various European countries
    to pay homage to St. Ambrosius every year.   At county fairs and other
    festivals, the homage was displayed by bee bearding  (as we still do
    today, often in the presence of public media) and the display of
    specially woven hive bodies in the shape of a bishop, or a bishops hat.
    Keep in mind that beekeepers traditionally kept bees in skeps made of
    straw.  Even today, we still use the image of the skep on many honey
    labels because it is a symbol of industrious bees producing this pure,
    wholesome food.  For the very experienced weavers the creation of a St.
    Ambrosius hive was a real challenge and proof of their skill.  St.
    Ambrosius hives can still be found in museums in Europe.

    Paul van Westendorp                 [log in to unmask]
    Provincial Apiarist
    British Columbia

--Boundary (ID QggZXJK/ByJKReGutOOFZA)--