From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:34:17 -0500
On  4 Sep 97 at 13:58, molbiol_MBC wrote:

> Qs to the bank to overcome the collective effect?   )    I have not
> tried this method on a Q less stock and it would be very
> interesting to see if the same thing happens?  Perhaps next year
> this is one to try .   Can I ask if you have ever had any problems
> adding Qs to an established Q-bank?

IMHO queen banking is only a stop gap measure, and we only use it in
dire emergency. We much prefer to plan production so that all queens
produced are used quickly, and we will not overproduce to queen bank
for later in the year.
        As queen banking is not a common practice there does not appear to
be much written on the subject, so information, apart from personal
practice is hard to come by.
        I would suggest that adding queens to an existing queen bank, even a
queenless one, will be difficult as the bees will be used to the
pheremones already in place.
        Perhaps the best idea, make more than one queen bank!!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.