From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 00:09:18 -0400
Waldemar writes: “I found transposing strong colonies with weaker ones more
effective in swarm prevention and equalizing hives.  [It's also easier,
safer and quicker.]  The strongest ones can be transposed 2-3 times and
still produce five 8-framers of honey.”

Waldemar, I am thinking of trying this with a couple of my hives that
happen to be side by side, one of which is weak and getting weaker owing
mainly to having its queen accidentally removed (it has a laying queen of
its own making now) and the other is strong and getting stronger.  What are
the important considerations in this maneuver?  How close do they need to
be to each other or how far away from each other can they be?  Is there a
point at which the difference in strength of the two hives is so great that
you would be weakening the strong hive more than the strengthening of the
weak hive is worth?  Is it best to do this when there is a strong flow on?
Any important tips would be greatly appreciated.  Anyone else want to opine
on this subject?

Steve Noble