From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:37:06 EDT
All

I am addressing a large meeting next Monday in Boulder, CO.  The  meeting is
an NSF and Dept. of Energy program, with scientists from national  labs and
universities.

I'm giving an overview of the importance of pollinators, ccd, and some of
our unique work.

I'm looking for good examples of the role that pollinators play in carbon
sequestering.  Obviously, I'm thinking about the importance of insects to  the
PLANTS that photosynthesize.

I'm looking for a few bullets - ones with references as to the source of  the
information.  Best are those that would startle the audience -- show  just
how critical these insects are.

I remember my surprise a few years ago when an EPA advisory group (composed
mainly of wildlife scientists) commented that bees kept a few weeds around,
AND  bees have some use in croplands -- implying no functional value in
natural habitats.

So, if you've got some good facts that I can share with this audience,
please send them to me.

Thanks

Jerry