From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:11:12 -0400
>>  The 72% is an unheard of amount.
When Tracheal first hit in the 80s those numbers were not unusual across
the nation. I did a quick google search and numbers like 90% kills were
being thrown around by environmental groups.

Back in the late 90s, numbers like 80% were being reported for some
states, including Maine. I have no idea where those numbers come from,
other than you seldom hear from those who winter well.

In Maine this winter we have reports of 80% losses by some beekeepers
but in every case so far it is either VM or TM. Lots of TM. We have had
reports of a 2% loss from a large beekeeping operation. Most seem to be
faring well, but a 70% loss made the news and CCD was blamed. It was not
CCD.
>> It is hard to say if something is or is not CCD as there is no clear
>> definition of CCD.
I am sure there will be an investigation by Ohio bee inspectors to see
just what may be going on.

Truth is, I doubt if the CCD team can identity CCD winter kill in the
North. It would probably look like a TM kill- few bees, disoriented,
lots of honey. CCD in flying weather can be identified and has been. It
looks like Fall dwindle disease or Disappearing Disease among others.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine