From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:45:52 +0100
Greetings from a happy dad on a warm 60 degree day in late February.

Thought I'd share this experience I just had.
I was in my office working when my five year old daughter came walking
in with tears running down her face saying "your bees are coming out of
their home and they're trying to sting me!"  I asked her if she was sure
that they were trying to sting her and she assured me they were.

I decided to go outside with her and see what was happening.  She took
me to the front porch which has a southern exposure and we sat down.
Within 30 seconds we had about 4 honey bees circling around us.  She
started to get scared again but I explained to her that they were not
interested in stinging her.  I told her that the bees have been stuck in
the hive all winter long and because it was so warm out, they were out
exercising and looking for pollen.  So I held out my hand and let a
couple of bees land on it.  As soon as they got on my hand they started
to walk around with their tongues dragging across my skin.  Not sure if
it was the pizza that I had for lunch or the natural elements that are
on ones skin but they sure were enjoying it.  As soon as my 7 year old
son saw me do this he held out his hand and got to see the bees do the
same thing.

We all walked back to the hives and saw all the bees bringing in a pale
yellow pollen in large amounts.  I took them to a neighbors house to see
if their pussy willow tree was in bloom yet, but it wasn't.

Anyway, it was just another one of those special moments we get too few
of to share in the experience of a childs mind being formed and lessons
learned.  I'm very grateful to be able to work out of the home and have
these opportunities.

Regards

-Barry

--