From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:15:33 -0400
Bill,

If you are starting with a single, the population of bees you have will take
a while to draw out that box of foundation.  Figure that if the plastics are
deeps this amounts to about 80- 90 lbs of honey when drawn out and filled.
 Plastics hold more honey that a standard wooden frame because of the slimmer
frame.  I've got about 30-40,000 of both deep and shallow plastics in use and
think that they are great.  I would think that for hobby beekeepers they
would be ideal (they are more forgiving than woods)

If you can, take out the outside frames of honey from the lower box and place
them in the center of the set of plastics.  This will stimulate the bees to
work in the new box.  Don't go into the brood frames and I would even leave
the outside pollen frame in there also  If you have some extra frames of
drawn comb hanging around use them instead.  A full box of foundation is alot
to draw out, they will do it but it is going to take some time.  If you could
reduce the number for now to 1/2 drawn and 1/2 foundation the queen can lay
at a greater rate and the bees will draw the foundation out quicker.

Keep those plastics shoved together closely because in a slow or weak flow
they will build bridge comb between them and not draw it out properly.  Hope
this helps.  Be happy if they draw this out and plug out this year.  It all
depends on the nectar flow you are having.

Brian Tassey
Kaykin aol.com