From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:21:24 +0100
BTW, the first time in Bee-l that "bleach nosema" was mention was in message
060577<http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind0706B&L=BEE-L&P=R232&1=BEE-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4>
the message was sent by Randy.

" A friend in Chile has been experimenting with using bleach (sodium
hypochlorite) in sugar syrup to control nosema. He would like to know if
anyone else has heard of this. "

Today I believe that bleach do not control nosema spores, rather it controls
viruses. And sorry Randy I do not have hard data.

We clean in bleach all brood chamber and nuc boxes each spring. We change
the colonies to bleached boxes. We have dimished dramatically winter
mortality. I believe this procedure clean viruses but at the same time we
help the colonies with the *infective nosema mass* that build in the floor
and chamber in general during winter.

Yes we do not only do this. We do everything in our hands. Feed fumagilin in
autum, take out old combs (dark really, we do not have old combs), use only
formic and amitraz (we will try this winter with oxalic), dimish stress as
more as possible, feed with patties (with cholesterol), etc, etc, etc.

As we have the opportuny to sell the dark combs we do not need to
clean/sterilize combs. With this opportunity we have manage to change most
of our foundations (from unknown origin, ie. probably contaminated with
misticides/pesticides) to foundations made from our own cappings.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.