From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:41:26 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Tom Seeley has seen bees survive on their own in the woods in upstate NY.

I have followed Tom's work very closely. After raising queens from those
wild hives, he concluded that their survival was NOT due to genetics. I also
have been to the forest where these bees are and I can tell you it is not
what I would call isolated. I am pretty sure I know exactly where those
swarms came from.

Tom suggested other factors may account for the survival of wild swarms,
including the possibility of the presence of less-virulent mites. Another
idea (mine) is: the colonies are widely spaced and high in trees may be very
important. We keep our hives in apiaries, close to each other near the
ground. Try keeping them 25 feet up and a quarter mile apart. That should work

Anyway, there is no difference from a wild hive and a hive that sits in
somebody's back yard for 5 years without being inspected. And if you think
those hives are immune, I would disagree. Besides, we are talking about
better beekeeping here. Better beekeeping does not mean knowing less, doing
less. Plus, I think the whole feral bee thing is a "mystique".

As far as us not having to worry about African genes in those wild swarms,
don't bet on that one!

pb