From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:29:00 GMT
MS>And how exactly does Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife acquire cougar p

Here in California one of my neighbors is a long time state trapper
and he tells me other then being very careful doing this kind of work he
said he collected it and many other natural scents from captured and
cage mountain lions, and coyotes. I won't go into the gross details.

As for using it to repel deer it does work if the deer are not really
hungry and then even tall fences will not keep them out of a garden or
orchard. Don't know about bears as most here use well constructed
electric fences.

The down side to using natural scents is that they are better at
attracting animals then repelling them, and I am not sure I would
want a pride of mountain lions roaming about in my garden at night,
but I have hunted them in a past life and had many chances to shoot
at them and could not because of their natural beauty...they are now
a real problem in California and I would not stop to think about if I
had a chance as they have just about eliminated the deer population in
this area. They also are protected by law and require the permission of
the governor countersigned by the green peace to kill. They are killing
and injuring more people then honeybees in California.

I have used many tons of dried blood (animal type), also a real hot
source of Nitrogen, to repeal deer. It works only as long as you keep
adding fresh and if you skip on a wet or windy day the deer will enter
and did eating even the onions.. The problem went away for a year or
two after a 18 hole golf course was built several miles away, but the
deer population increased and they came back with revenge. As a boy we
had more deer to dinner then beef as we had a year around permit to
reduce their numbers on our small ranch which was in a NO
hunting/shooting area because of city people moving to the country and
their lack of common sense when it comes to guns and hunting. Most can
not tell a deer for a cow and all put our lives in danger during hunting
season.

Someday when you have time I will tell you my story of the famous Brain
Surgeon who lived down the road a few miles and because a bee stung him
and he found out I had one beehive, my first as a 4-H project, was going
to sue my parents and take our ranch and home.

                              ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ Vereniging tot Bevordering van de Bijenteelt