From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:25:14 -0400
Lest anyone think that I have misrepresented the data, I have searched for several days for ANY reference of chlorine to disinfect nosema spores in combs. There is plenty of evidence to show that soaking spores in chlorinated water is effective. However, as these data show, the time and strength has a lot to do with effectiveness. Also, different species of Microsporidian react differently; Randy mentioned that N. ceranae may be more sensitive than N. apis.

Infectivity of Microsporidian Spores Exposed to Temperature Extremes and Chemical Disinfectants
J. Eukaryot. Microbiol., 53(S1), 2006 pp. S77–S79