From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 16:08:00 GMT
PV>From: Phil Veldhuis <[log in to unmask]>
  >Date:         Sat, 24 Feb 1996 23:17:31 -0600

PV>Question:

PV>I understand that there are two processes used to produces sugar syrup
  >from corn:  one process involves an acid, the other an enzyme.

PV>It has been suggested to me that the acid process results in a sugar
  >syrup that is possibly midly toxic to bees.

PV>Any info you might have on this would be appreciated.

Hello Phil,

First if any sugar purchased from a sugar company that anyone thinks
has caused damage or hurt their bee's at any time they should "please"
notify their sugar companies technical department as they are like the
Maytag Man and are just waiting to hear from you. The feeding of
manufactured invert sugar syrups from what ever source (corn, beet,
cane) or process is very important to the sugar company's as it comes
mostly during their off season and is a good and very competitive
market for them. The sugar manufacture's have developed much information
on feeding sugar to (honey "sugar" bees) and anyone contemplating
feeding sugar should ask for the technical sheets on any or all the
products they are interested in. One on one help is available all you
have to do is ask any US sugar company.

As for the acid process of inverting sugar, I believe that all hfc
syrup made from corn is enzyme inverted, in any case all manufactured
sugar is sold with a guaranteed analysis and all should check the spec
sheet on the products they have a need for the the chemical breakdown.

All sugar manufactured in the US is sold by chemical analyst and is 100%
guaranteed. This analyst is ongoing during the manufacture process and is
an important part of manufacturing and marketing sugar and the backbone
of the industry. Most users, and bee feeders should need no more then
a eye for color and refractometer to check the sugar they purchased
at time of delivery.

In the past I have purchased as many as 10 tanker loads a season
myself, and buy it according to price and the use I intend to put it
to. I have never seen any unexplained loss from feeding sugar syrups
purchased through manufacturers representatives or direct from the
plants. Millions of pounds are fed each year by beekeepers in California
and I know of no ill effects of any kind to bee's from the sugar
itself. I am sure a few hives have been killed by the beekeepers own
kindness by feeding too much or the wrong type of sugar at the wrong
time, but this is not the fault of the sugar, only the use it was put.

I would not worry about any type of hf or hfc sugar, but would always
check with other beekeepers to see what gives them the best results and
at what cost. Many beekeepers this area of California use blends of
sugars, and almost all adjust the moisture and many add TM and other
inert ingredients to their liquid bee feeds to prevent and control
certain endemic bee health problems. Most all use blending tanks, mostly
small ss 500 gallon milk tanks to mix whatever they want to add. Gallon
can's are filled four or more at a time using pumps or air pressure.
Most use about five gallons a season depending on the year. I know of no
beekeepers in this area that depend on sugar for winter stores, it is
mostly used to increase brood rearing, dispense bee health products, and
in emergency feeding in the spring. It is also used to increase flight
in the almond bloom to keep growers happy. The cost of all this feeding
is horrendous and requires a good cash flow or a friendly banker.

The successful feeding of sugar to bee's and developing product use
has been a collaboration of efforts between bee feeders, sugar
manufactures and is a good example of private enterprise beekeeping
research, and is ongoing.

                                ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.
(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.