From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:26:06 -0900
George,,

> I have been feeding 1:1 sugar syrup starting in January in Maryland to get
> queens laying for well over 40 years, and have never had any trouble.

I am certainly glad to hear I am not alone.  The continuous feeding (I also add
pollen supplement, as I mentioned) is to keep the queens laying beginning about
the first of the year.  Very much in line with your experiences.  Normally
southern queens do not readily lay in our long dark winters.

Perhaps I should add for purposes of fuller explanation, I am also buying queens
from The Bee Works in Ontario, Canada.  That also may be a part of my newly
found success in wintering.

Tom, (new beekeeper only 17 years-or is it 18?  I lose track)

--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.