From:
Ian Stuart McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Stuart McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:28:28 -0500

>>On Thu, 30 Nov 1995  Ian Stuart McLean <[log in to unmask]> wrote :
>>
>>> What you say is probably true but Supercedure is also an inheritable trait.
>>> Here in the UK the British Isles Bee Breeders Association (BIBBA), who
> make a feature of breeding queens that supercede. They are very useful in
>reducing colony swarming  , which is a problem in the UK.
>
>>Jean-Marie Van Dyck wrote  Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:16:40>
>>Here in Belgium, almost all the beebeekers know and use the anecbalic
>>term to caracterize some big colonies which years after years are
>>replacing their queens without any swarming. This supercedure occurs
>
>While I agree, in my opinion supercedure has a number of disadvantages. It
>usually means the bees are unhappy with the current Queen, whether it is
>early or late season is immaterial. Either way the hive is in decline as the
>current queen is not laying to capacity. When I breed queens and send them
>to the "dancehall" for mating I want to know which drones she met up with.So
>to my mind, I want to know the pedigree of my queens. Scrubs of unknown
>origin cause terrible problems.
>        Apart from changing a weak or failing queen how does supercedure
>prevent swarming. The usual reasons for swarming are I believe, Congestion,
>Too much heat, weak or old queen, honeybound,  all of which are the keepers
>problem.
>        Congestion......give more space
>        Too much heat ......ventilate
>        Weak or old .......requeen
>        Honeybound.......more boxes.
Hi Dave,

It' part of the variability of honey bee behaviour. You can select for low
swarming / high supercedure traits just as you can for HTM resistance.

[log in to unmask]  - Northern Regional Bee Inspector, UK -  Bee Curious
phone/fax 01704 822831
snailmail 'Asland' Flash Lane, Rufford, Ormskirk, Lancs, L40 1SW  - UK.