From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:20:59 -0500
>  That's a form of choice, not based on nutritional  value.

My apologies to vegetarians everywhere, but I think it is pretty clear that meat is extremely nutritious and to supply the equivalent food value using vegetable products requires knowledge and skill. Many vegetable protein foods lack essential amino acids, and must be consumed in combination. Similarly, bees tend to collect a variety of pollens, presumably to create a good balance.

I believe there is no evidence to support that bees can determine the food value of pollen, whereas they evaluate the energy value of nectar based on the criteria of sweetness, abundance, and proximity to the hive. But this is a relatively simple equation compared to assessing the amino acid content of various pollens.

I go with the idea that they are attracted to pollen based on abundance mainly, but there may be odor attraction involved. Flowers certainly invest a lot of energy in fragrance production, so there must be a payoff somewhere. Nature is pretty ruthless when it comes to cost/benefit ratios, despite her apparent profligacy.