Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:22:07 GMT
>>Reading the study, it seems to say (happy to be corrected) that GM corn has
to be detoxified by the kidney and livers of some of the rats and that any
long term effects are unknown.
Here is one way to look at this.  We generally live as long as our major organs.  Extra burdens (such as from GM foods) on the organs shortens our lives.  I, for one, am not interested buying food that will shorten my life.
>>The larger issue would be that the toxins are not eliminated and do stay in
the body. Which is why the researchers said that you need longer term
studies to see just what their research actually says.
For sure GM food safety studies have not been exhaustive.  The precautionary principle should apply.  GM foods should not be consumed until they are truly shown to be safe.
http://www.aaemonline.org/gmopost.html

At a minimum, I'd want all food packaging to carry 'GM Food Inside' label if the food is made from GMOs.  Bees may not have a choice in what they are exposed to.  I, as a consumer, need to have a choice.
>>It could have an effect on bees, but seems not to in the real world.
I would not agree with this.  I'd expect the opposite.  In my experience, rats are more resilient to toxins than bees.
>>Same with humans, unless you want to eat nothing but corn for the rest of your
life. Then you have a bigger problem than with GMO corn.
According to official statistics, 60% to 70% of the food in retail sale contains GMOs (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs084). Your exposure is much higher than you may believe.
Waldemar