From:
JonDeGroot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:56:16 EDT
[log in to unmask] said:
> thinking about the saying, "there are 2 kinds of beekeepers: 1 with a
> bad back & 1 who is going to have a bad back."  As I live alone, I dare
> not be too reckless.
Sally,
Five things to do to prevent a bad back due to beekeeping:
1. You could try using only 6 5/8 inch or even only 5 5/8 inch boxes for all
uses - even for brood chambers.  Three 6 5/8 boxes would be approx. equal to
two 9 5/8.
The smaller supers are especially important for the honey supers, which tend
to be much heavier.
2.  Make sure that you avoid turning while holding a heavy load.  You are much
more likely to throw out your back if you are twisting or turning your upper
body than if you are lifting straight.
3.  Use proper lifting technique - back straight and lift with the legs.
4.  Invest in some mechanical assists.  A good large-tire handtruck is worth
its weight in honey.  Three 12 foot steel pipes could be stored at your apiary
attached together to form a tripod with a pulley.  A mechanically inclined
friend (unfortuantely I don't qualify) could improvise an inexpensive hoisting
arraingement so that you would not have to do any lifting of heavy weights.
5.  Consider regular exercise and stretching for the back as an "insurance
policy".  Describe your needs to a chiropractor or fitness center person and
they will make specific suggestions.
Best of Luck,
John  deGroot