Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:38:35 +1200
New Zealand Ministry of Agriculture and NZ beekeeping officials are
preparing a full economic impact report on the implications of the
recent discovery of the Varroa mite in New Zealand. It is planned for
this to be presented to the NZ government Cabinet on Monday 1 May to
assist with decision making regarding risk management options
(eradication, control, ask for more reports, go on holiday, etc.)

I've been ask to prepare a report on the impact of Varroa on the
production/sales of royal jelly, bee pollen, propolis and bee venom over
a 1, 5, 10, 20 year period.

Obviously the longer periods would be subject to a great deal of crystal
ball gazing.

At first glance, it might seem that Varroa would have little or no
impact of, say, bee venom, however, if beekeepers are more involved in
hive management then it seems they would have less time for harvesting
secondary products.

The big problem is that the report is needed by next Wednesday (26th
April) Given my lecturing committments, this means that I have to finish
on Tuesday (25th) NZ time (+12 hrs GMT).

Could you please send me any information, reports, personal production
statistics, anecdotal evidence -- any would be most greatful.

Thanks very much in anticipation.

Ron Law