From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:48:10 -0400
Peter Borst quotes Kevin Kelly:  “That leads us to wonder what else is
packed into the bee that we haven't seen yet?”

There is seeing and then there is the complex intellectual process of
describing what you see.  I believe, Peter, that when it comes to bees you
may well have “seen it all” as have many wise old beekeepers on this list.
All the discussion, all the theorizing, all the arguing revolves around
describing what we think we have seen.  This is a purely intellectual
process and it can never be complete.  It is a process of breaking things
down to whatever level our woefully inadequate intellects can grasp.  It is
also a process that involves filtering everything we see through our own
preferences and aversions so by the time it gets processed by the intellect
it can be more a matter of what we want or don’t want to see than what is
actually there.  Science, logic and math are the tools we supposedly use to
take this filter away and get at what are sometimes pretty complex sets of
facts, at least by human intellectual standards.  The difficulty comes when
we fail to see how far away from a complete picture we are with even the
highest level of intellectual understanding.  Fortunately we are not
limited by our intellects and we have the possibility to “grok” things as
Heinlein would say.  It is what allows beekeeping and living to have the
potential to become art.  It happens when you have really seen what you are
looking at.  You may have looked at tens of thousands of beehives but one
day you have an epiphany and suddenly you realize something you didn’t
before.  The ultimate possibility is that in that moment you “know” a
colony of bees for the first time.  I can’t say it’s happened to me, but I
hope we all have that experience at some point in our lives.

Steve Noble