Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:10:01 EST
Brian

As before, CCD is not restricted to large migratory beekeepers.  And,  as
for the comments - it didn't happen in our state, it happened in  CA, etc.

Every operation that I've sampled in CA for CCD points to bees failing  to
grow/thrive the summer before in the state of origin - and N.D. and MN are
prime examples of this problem.  Weather may be an issue.  In N.D.,  bees
from the eastern part of the state had higher percent collapse than bees  from
western - at least from the beekeepers I've talked to, investigated  losses.

Overall, the final CCD Collapse most often occurs in late fall through
mid-winter - times when queen laying is at a low.  In cold states, any
collapse in bees overwintered in the state is likely to be masked and  termed
'overwinter' losses.  Not much option for bees in snow banks to fly  out and
disappear, and I think we can all agree, CCD bees die somewhere.   If they can't
leave the hives, they probably end up dead on the bottom  board.

So, I strongly disagree with your denial of CCD in your state - many
colonies of bees have died before shipment, more died in holding sheds in  ID,
and in stockpiles in CA, but the basic disorder was manifested the summer
before in the state of origin.

Jerry