From:
"C.R. Crowell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 19:33:40 -0400
Where: Central New Jersey

It's been consistently about 40 degrees (F) at night, in fact I usually get
out earlier to rotate my hives, placing the more empty, and usually the
bottom hive body on the top, and at the same time apply an extender patty.
I had one winter loss that turned up weeks ago, a weak hive that ran out of
stores.  In the interim I feed syrup to some hives that seemed as though
they could use a boost, and removed the mouse guards.
   Two hives were problematical:

1.  Hive was particularly nasty two weeks ago, they the following week
seemed OK - I saw some capped brood.  Today I only found scattered drone
brood, and no sign of the queen.  They had access to syrup in a division
feeder, but weren't taking it.  I could not find a queen.  I left them a new
queen, and refilled the syrup feeder, at the same time stuffing the entrance
with grass to make it tougher to rob.  I would have put an entrance reducer
on if I had one in the truck.  Is it likely the old queen is gone?

2.  Hive full, absolutely full of bees. Just a bit on the nasty side, and a
few got up my veil becuase I neglected to zip the front of the suit all the
way up.  The strange thing is: no brood.  No eggs, no capped brood, nothing.
Every single frame had either pollen or honey, and the honey had granulated
so in some cases they were down to "grains" remaining in each cell (no these
were no eggs).  No sign of a queen, and I did look at every frame once I
realized I had no brood pattern.  I requeened, leaving the hive with a
boardman feeder, and removed several frames of "junk" leaving some frames
with just foundation and others with clean drawn comb.

In the process of doing my "rounds" this spring I end up with several full
depth frames of drawn comb, some with pollen, some with honey, some empty.
I will put new foundation into frames that are duragilt that have become
spotty, or in the odd case frames where cells have dead bees.  What is the
best way to store the good frames of drawn comb so that the moths don't get
into them, and any eggs already in them don't hatch?
/Curtis Crowell