From:
Lucinda Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:54:33 +0100
I stumbled across this (BACKWOODS BEEKEEPERS?) at

http://www.beedata.com/afb_gmolink.htm Whilst trying to find something else
(sound familiar?)

start paste

Circumstantial this bee story may be, but it can only be a matter of time
before one of these backwoods beekeepers needs to make a trip into town for
supplies and posts a few diseased bees to a laboratory which can identify
the source of the resistance. If it is GM. Then the splattering from the
faeces/fan interface should waken even the dozy US and Canadian public,
whose own governments have for years forcefully silenced or cast out the
numerous dissidents among their own researchers.

A senior researcher at a British institute describes this scenario as
"entirely plausible", and of course we no know for certain that modified
genes cannot be confined to the target organisms.

Article published in Private Eye Magazine

End paste

Whatever happened to that theory? It sounded as though it needed a very
simple test to decide if it was plausible, and I'm surprised GM people
didn't pick up on it, as the proof of horizontal transfer is desperately
needed. I realise no-one here on Bee-L was punting it as gospel, but it
sounded worth investigating...

John Sewell

" In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities" Suzuki.