From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:00:51 -0500
Ted,

Your comment:

"I found the ten minute talk about propolis by James Fearnely (link provided by Juanse) very interesting. Fearnely discussed research that found propolis collected by bees in areas of the world inhabited by the protozoa that causes sleeping sickness - contains a chemical which is active against sleeping sickness. He goes on to say he believes propolis provides bees with the therapeutic benefits of the environment they live in - and given the sleeping sickness example, those benefits can be pretty amazing."

Really helpful!!  It fits many other biology realities that I know of.  And it also fits a biology reality all beeks know of:  Don't expose your non-beeyard family to used bee gear, because they'll develop severe allergies.  Why?  Because they aren't in the beeyards and they aren't being stung.  Propolis...local environment...immune system protection.    Bee work...bee stings...bee "stuff"...immune system protection for beekeepers.   Very logical, when you think about how our immune systems work.

I want that propolis in my hives!!  As usual, bees know what they are doing.  And, as usual, we're the dummies.

Thank you,

Christina