From:
Paula Franke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:49:15 -0400
I've read with interest everyone's observations on what their bees are
working now. So I've been paying attention to who is working what here at
Head of Happy Hollow Farm.

Bumblebees and butterflies are working jewelweed and Joe Pye weed.

Some sort of 1/4-inch long black bee with thin white stripes (which display
frantic activity but are apparently very gentle) are doing something
furious around the bottom of the tobacco plants and chrysanthemums, and
collecting loads of white pollen.

The honeybees are hard to find, but I've seen them collecting pollen from
broadleaf plantain (bumblebees are collecting pollen from the English
plantain), and are gathering syrup/nectar from wild cherry trees. By that,
I mean they are on the sap that is oozing from the bark. They are also
working what clover is left.

And, OK, be warned that this is probably offensive, but the honeybees
appear to have an unseemly attraction to certain fresh wet spots on the
tires on all of our vehicles, shortly after the dogs visit the same tires.

This is also the time of year for witch hazel trees/shrubs to be in bloom,
but I haven't found any of those yet so don't know if the bees are there.

Paula Franke in Tollesboro, KY
http://www.users.kih.net/~pfranke
"There are only two rules in life:
  1. Don't sweat the small stuff.