Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:35:54 GMT+2
Greetings all

I note a number of posts concerning purple loosestrife, and it looks
like the ground is being laid for a lengthy battle. I know nothing
about this weed, but the whole situation has surely been repeated
many times in many countries.

The example that I am familiar with is Echium (called Paterson's
curse or Salvation Jane) in Australia. [We also have it in South
Africa, but it is not such a problem]. In Australia the authorities
wanted it removed, the beekeepers wanted it kept. Nine years later,
numerous Supreme Court actions, and millions of dollars later, the
authorities won. They also produced a cost/benefit analysis that is
superb, and detailed in the extreme.

Perhaps the records in this case might be useful before the
Loosestrife battle begins?

Regards

Mike

Mike Allsopp                            Honeybee Research Unit
email: [log in to unmask]           Plant Protection Res. Inst.
       [log in to unmask]           Agricultural Research Council
Tel: (0027) (021) 887-4690              Private Bag X5017
Fax: (0027) (021) 883-3285              Stellenbosch 7599 South Africa