From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:08:35 -0600
> However, in acute or sudden events, the original queen may be suddenly
lost
> (e.g., chemicals used to drive out bees, agri- or industrial chemicals,
> sudden expansion of space by adding honey supers).  In this case, the
> colony may: 1) not successfully supercede the queen,

That makes me wonder about terminology.

When I think of 'supercedure', I think of a situation where replacement
measures are begun by the bees while the original queen is still present,
and a case where the cells are started after queen disappearance as being
denoted as 'emergency replacement'.

I made a quick scan of my literature and all (4) references to supercedure
that I found assumed that the original queen was still present at the
beginning of the replacement process.  However, my time and reference
material is limited, and I'm still wondering about the word 'supercedure'
and its exact meaning.

I realise that many beekeepers consider any case where the queen is
replaced by the bees without human intervention as being a case of
supercedure, but is that correct?  Does supercedure include both cases, or,
in normal use, is it specific to the first case?  Is there an authoritative
glossary somewhere?

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/