From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 18:14:26 -0400
What to do with the waxworms, bee parts, and assorted other bits and pieces
that are in freshly extracted honey?

I have heard of an individual who leaves the bits and pieces in his extracted
honey just to "prove" to his customers that they are getting really raw
honey.   To each his own, I suppose, but you won't win any Fair blue ribbons
that way.   Filter the bits and pieces out.

Ikea (the Swedish furnishing stores) sells a screen bowl that is intended to
keep insects off food plates during picnics.  I have found these bowls to be
most excellent coarse strainers for extracted honey.   This removes the large
pieces.

I also let the honey rest in a bucket for at least a week before bottling.  A
layer of foam and more bits and pieces will come to the top.   I skim that
off with an aquarium fishnet (the net used never saw a fish tank).

For final filtering I use a nylon bridal cloth that is similar to bridal veil
material, but of finer weave.   Pantyhose material is also good (wash it
first).

Commercial strainers/filters are also available.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD