Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:27:57 -0400
Mike said:

we would  need response chips small enough to be easily carried by flying
bees and  strong enough to respond to a radio signal or a radar signal from
a good  distance away.  There would also have to be enough detections units
to  saturate an area around the hive of the tagged bees.

The radio or RFID chip approach has been used.  There are three  problems
with this approach:  1) size of chip - even the smallest chip may  influence
flight behavior, especially how far a bee will fly and how able they  are to
change direction, maneuver  2) limited range  - small chip  = small antenna
(although there are new, smaller, more powerful chips being  developed
every day) and enabling technologies like a fractal  antenna (we once
electro-plated an antennae  on the back of a bees) are  being developed, but 3) enough
chips to saturate an area; this is the big  problem, anyone  want to
volunteer to clues hundreds or thousands of chips  on bees?.

I should also note that there are researchers who will dispute the affect
of RFIDs on bee  flight, but our testing showed significant alterations in
flight, especially how far a bee would fly, how well it could fly, and
whether  it was willing to attempt to make a turn.  These chips have worked
better  on larger insects, like bumblebees.  Still, there are newer chips that
may  have solved the flight problems.  I have seen reports on better chips
from  Europe and the US - but haven't had a chance to test any of the more
recent chip  designs.

By the way, I assume most on this list know that the plural of insect
antenna and pf radio antenna are not the same.

We put one of the first chips on a bee (~ 2002), saw the limitations of
chips. That's why we've gone to a chipless locating, mapping, and tracking
system.  I now finally have (as of last fall) two lasers that  can detect
honey bees by their wing beat frequency, locate and map the  position of each
bee across a field, with a placement accuracy of a few  inches or centimeters.

Our instruments can each sweep across an area of up to 180 degrees.
Placed back to back, they can canvas 360 degrees.  They can also be placed  to
scan side by side, scan perpendicular to  each other,  or  scan end to end
(sweep range).

The biggest problem is eye-safety.  So, we reduce the energy of the
lasers, restrict them for most scans to a range of 150 yards  (meters).  We have
used lasers that can detect and map bees up to 1 mile  (1.6 km) away, but
these instruments can only be used in restricted access areas  due to the fact
that they are not eye safe.  Some years ago, one could use  a powerful laser
on a DoD installation like Sandia labs - but even DOE and DOD  have gotten
very restrictive about non eye-safe lasers due to  accidents involving
soldiers using lasers.  In an agricultural  setting, we have to ensure
eye-safety.  Just can't take the chance that  someone up to a mile away might wander
into the path of the beam and look into  the light.  At 150 yards or meters,
we can see if someone wanders in - and  our lasers are eye-safe by that
distance.

Jerry