From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:24:21 -0500
Bill Truesdell wrote:

>I think the key in this problem is to stay away from agendas, which I
>see too much of on this list.

Right. I try to avoid making conjecture on things I know nothing about.
There are some excellent minds working on the facts of this problem and I am
eager to hear their conclusions.

Of course, the real question is whether the colonies will be able to
recover. The big plus of moving to the south in winter is getting the
opportunity to resurrect colonies.

Having the field force wiped out is nothing new. Beekeepers in San Diego
move their hives to the irrigated desert areas in summer to get alfalfa
honey. They get a fair crop but the bees are wrecked by the heat and sprays.

Then they bring them back to the coast into the avocados or eucalyptus and
in a few months they come back around. So this story is just starting. If
the Florida bees bounce back there'll be a happy ending.

pb