From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2016 06:50:43 -0800

> >If heated, will this produce HMF which is deadly to my bees. If I can heat
> it, maybe using a barrel heater, what would be the max temp to stay under?

It's not about max temp alone.  It's a function of pH, metal ions, and
temperature x time.

If the barrel was plastic or epoxy lined, and the pH was near neutral, and
the barrels were kept cool since purchase, then HMF formation would be less
than if the opposites.  Check the pH with inexpensive test strips.  You can
add a bit of baking soda to syrup to neutralize it (but not of benefit
after the fact).

HMF does not change the color of syrup as far as I know, but there is
typically a chemically unrelated darkening of syrup with exposure to heat
and temp due to caramelization .  I'd feel uneasy if your reheated syrup
had much caramel color.

In any case, you can test on a few colonies.  You may wish to wait until
they are actively rearing brood, so that any increased mortality might be
offset by reproduction.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA