From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:30:31 -0500
Allen posed several more questions about fungus

01 I wonder how much is known about the beneficial or adverse effects
of these
organisms on bee bread?

Probably little is know in relation to the effect on bees.  Some are
probably toxin producers & others may produce antibiotic-like
compounds. Aflatoxin is a secondary metabolite of a fungus,
penicillin of course is an antibiotic. I'd have to do a literature
search on others a how they might affect bee nutrition if in fact
there is something out there.

o2 I had this in wintering (mold?) , and never noticed any adverse
effects.

I don't know.  But I could speculate that some toxins produced might
be harmful while others might have a bactericidal effect & pose a
slightly beneficial effect on the gut of a bee.  This could be a Phd
dissertation--growing & testing the effect of various fungi on nurse
bees.

03 Any guesses whether they are good or bad or both.  Seems to me
that Andy
figured supplement was better after it fermented a bit.

Many insects are attracted to alcohol--I've seen bees on rotting
fruit--wonder if it is a feeding stimulant--or if the yeast is of
nutrient value.  I'd do not know--wonder if some of the people at
companies formulating honeybee diets might have an answer to this.

Its interesting that a number of fungal metabolic products are being
studied for pharmacological uses. A mold that produces the
immunosuppressant cyclosporin, which is used to suppress rejection in
organ transplants is from the fungus  Tolypocladium inflatum.  There
are researchers looking at other novel products from fungi.  Paul
Staments of Magic Mushroom fame has redirected some of his fortune
toward finding anticancer products from various fungi, with good
success.

It would be ignorant to believe that they have no effect--look at the
various nectars, sugars, old honey--& how these affect the digestive
track, health of bees--but what the effect is I cannot say.

Mike