Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:45:35 EDT
I checked my bees today and found bad news.  One of my three colonies, which
was very prosperous and crowded in July, has all but died.  It's down to a
few hunderd bees (and I suspect those are robbers).  The only evidence I see
of disease are a few uncapped brood that are shriveled on the sides of their
cells.  They do not look dark and crusted like I have read of American
foulbrood.

The hive next to it is relatively strong, but with very little honey stores
(after a very dry summer).  There is some evidence of the shriveled brood,
though most of the brood look healthy.

What am I looking at?  What is the best way to save the second colony? And is
it safe to use the empty hive in the Spring, or do I need to disinfect it
somehow?
Any help would be appreciated.
Eugene Makovec
Kirkwood, MO