From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2017 08:04:32 -0800
Great discussion.

As Pete points out, as one attempts to keep bees at the more northerly
limit of their range, winter survival becomes much more of an issue.

As Adam points out, taking one's winter losses in the fall (otherwise
termed "being realistic) will decrease winter losses.

As Farrar demonstrated, winter nutritional prep is critical.

As Paul points out, EARLY varroa management is of utmost importance, as
well as ensuring strong broodrearing at the end of the season.

Here in California, I see almond pollinators who consistently supply the
same number of strong colonies for pollination contracts, year after year.
The common thread is that they provide a lot of expensive husbandry to
their hives when called for.  I never hear these beekeepers making excuses,
or blaming their problems on anything other than themselves.

I live where winters are relatively mild.  Snow and freezing temps right
now, and not unusual to get a week or more of straight rain.  We're having
a two-day break now, during which it gets warm enough for the bees to break
cluster slightly in the afternoon (with a few bees flying).  We're giving
1000+ hives pollen sub, and flipping the lids of only about 3-4% of the
hives (generally due to failed queens, but a few with signs of varroa).

Beekeepers who suffer from high losses have typically done too little, too
late.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA