From:
G C Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:02:58 GMT
Conrad Sigona asked:

>  perhaps you folks can help out by providing  descriptions of the hives=
 you use
or maybe of the kind you remember -

Hives I have seen in the UK are:

Modified National - 18 1/8" square, single walled, bottom space holding =
11
British Standard [BS 14" x 8 1/2"] frames, comb area in deeps 2,200 sq =
ins. - I
use this type.

Smith - 18 1/4" x 16 3/8" outside dimensions, top space, holding 11 BS =
frames in
deep giving 2,200 sq ins comb area, frame have short lugs like those in =
USA.

Wormit - like National but with rebated joints between crates and hollow =
end walls

WBC [after William Broughton Carr] - 19 7/8" square, double walled hive, =
outside
sections often painted, contains 10 BS frames giving 2,000 sq ins comb =
area

British Commercial - 18 1/8" outside dimensions, holding 11 16" x 10" fra=
mes
giving a comb area of 3,300 sq ins.

Glen - large Scottish hive like an oversized WBC, double walled, hold 15 =
BS
frames giving 3,000 sq ins comb area, no longer sold commercially.

I have not described Dadant or Langstroth hives which are commonplace in =
the
USA.  If you would like pictures of the British hives I suggest that you =
obtain a
Steele & Brodie 1996 catalogue, Email steele&[log in to unmask]

Geoff Allison
Dalbeattie, scotland