Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
sorry jim, i suppose i wasn't clear.  when i said:

"who is keeping productive bees that were 
bred by any of the researchers that have been 
mentioned, that are not using any treatments?"

i did not just mean "people not using treatments", but specifically people not treating using stock from the researchers that have been mentioned recently who have been working for 20 years at breeding resistant stock.  what have the labs come up with in 20 years?

i know many people not using treatments successfully, but no one using stock that coming from researchers/labs.  harbo, spivak, and others have been cited on this list over the last few weeks as researchers that have been working hard for years to produce mite resistant lines.

-- James Fischer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>The bees tend to become reinfected with Nosema 
ceranae unless the comb is fumigated or sterilized.

well, this is intersting.....as the hives that dee lost last year (which you insist was simply nosema c.) have been repopulated from those in the same area that survived with no fumigation or sterilization, and are, according to dee, doing great.

it's also interesting to note that these bees apparently are not "isolated enough" to prevent picking up nosema c. ...yet are apparently "isolated enough" to have bred for non virulent mites.

anyone who is subscribed to the organic list will also have read that 17 hives in this area have had 5 frames from the middle of the brood nest "mysteriously disappear".  illegals sometimes take a frame or 2 of honey from the tops of hives...but going down 3-4 boxes and taking 5 frames of brood is something else all together.

deknow

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2