Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:52:36 -0500
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  wrote: "2/3  of my
hives are honey/pollen producers.  1/3 are hives to be split to  replace
losses.   Spring splits are for the following year's honey  production, late
splits are for build up hives the following  year."

Richard,  What do you do about queens?  Do you let the splits  raise their
own queen or do you purchase mated queens or queen cells?  What  number of
colonies did you start with and what number do you have now after how  many
years.  When you split, how many frames (deeps?) do you use to make  the
splits?

[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) : "Three years is
the magic number.  After that they hit a wall as a direct result of  varroa."
This is basically what I have found but I  have had a couple of  colonies
survive up to 6-7 years or so untreated.  I am in an "isolated"  location.

Dave MacFawn