Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:58:14 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
>>You might suggest they have an arborist look at the tree. With a colony inside, that means large empty space as well. It may be only a matter of time (and not a long time) before the tree has to be removed to prevent a hazard to the homeowner (while bees 30 feet up in the air are not, esp compared to having a large tree hit the house or a car).

This is a rather nice-looking, healthy, sturdy oak tree.  The entrance hole is where a trunk had once been sawed off.  The tree is by a large swimming pool on the opposite side of the house.  There really is no risk to people but the homeowner's wife won't use the swimming pool as long as the bees are there - the bees drink from the pool.  In her words 'I can't deal with magnitudes' as in hundreds or thousands of flying bees.

Well, although I am very passionate about honey bees and spread knowledge about them whenever I have a chance, I believe a homeowner has the right to live without them if they are causing him/her great psychological discomfort.  [Just as I do not like raccoons that come and trash my fish pond from time to time (I trap them live and release them 30 miles away).]  I believe not solving the 'problem' for a homeowner gives honeybees and beekeepers a bad reputation.

By the way, I appreciate all the good advice I have received over the last couple of days here.  I went over and did the job yesterday.  I liked the idea of filling the tree with water to drive the bees out.  Unfortunately, the entrance was at the base of the 'brood chamber.'

I did not have Bee-Go, but I smoked the colony heavily.  At first, the bees went for the honey but a few minutes later, they started coming out.  I kept smoking and vacuuming for about 2 hours.  I had to empty the box on my bee vac twice.  I tried but could not get to the combs as they were about 10-12" deep and at 90 deg. up (I will look into the articulating tools, mentioned here, that mechanics use to lift bolts out of remote corners of cars).

All in all, I think I captured about 4 lbs of bees (they are now in my hive).  When there weren't anymore bees coming or flying in significant numbers and it got dark, I filled the hole with expandable polyurethane.  I advised the owners to keep an eye on the hole and make sure it's always sealed.  I regret I could not do a complete removal but I think the homeowners learned a lot about honey bees and came to appreciate them more.  They still fear them - but hopefully less.

Climbing to 30 feet.  It's not for the faint-hearted and I would strongly discourage it if anyone is not sure how they would handle it.  I have been climbing extension ladders since I was a kid.  Most recently when I replaced windows in my 3rd story attic.  Always remember to check the ladder's weight capacity (they come with different ratings!), set the ladder at the proper angle (you can use the fireman's rule - toes at the base of the ladder, arms fully extended and holding the ladder sides while you are standing perfectly straight), ensure the footing is flat & stable, and tie the top of the ladder to the tree if you can.  Safety is paramount and no amount of bees is worth a broken limb or your life.

I thank everyone again,

Waldemar
Long Island, NY

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2