From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:06:12 -0600
>Here at the Xerces Society we are looking for information on pollination
for small growers, i.e., those people who grow small areas of crops and who
probably only need two or three hives for pollination. Some people say it is
increasingly difficult for these people to get bees when they need them but
we have little evidence one way or the other, hence my email today.

It is very hard if not almost impossible for the person needing two or three
hives to get bees for pollination from a beekeeper which provides larger
scale pollination unless you live close by.

Matthew asks;
We're trying to find out how these growers get bees when they need them and
what hurdles they may have to overcome.

Be willing to pay a fee which is based on the amount of work involved and
with the beekeeper which has hives on  stands
(instead of skids) possibly help with the moving in and out.

> A few of the things we have been pondering include:
Do beekeepers find it difficult to provide a small number of hives to small
growers?

I myself do not have a problem but It costs the same to bring a skid of four
hives gas wise, forklift wise and about time wise as to bring a   truckload.

>Is the fact that they only need a handful of hives a barrier to them
getting them?

Certainly! The larger the order for hives the higher the priority. My
partner will not fire up the truck for less than a half truck load of
beehives *unless* the drop is along the route to a larger orchard.
Beekeepers doing pollination are in the business of making money.

>Does demand for hives from large growers mean that there are no hives
available?

The only place I ever see a shortage of beehives for pollination is in
California for Almond pollination and those growers usually only need a
hundred or so hives. If they took a whole semi load I believe they  would
most times get pollination.

>Is is mainly hobbyist or part-time beekeepers who can help?

I believe so if only looking for a few hives. The Blue orchard mason bee
might work for a small pollination.

>Do these growers tend to keep a few hives themselves?

Many do as the only way to get pollination. Organic growers tend to keep
hives but growers using sprays have a hard time keeping hives alive in their
orchards unless very careful about spraying.

>Any information or illumination that Bee-L members can offer will be
gratefully received

I would love at times to tape record a few of the polination calls I have
received to play at bee meetings. Would be good for a few laughs.
I have had people wanting me to pollinate their small orchard over a hundred
miles away with a couple hives.

Also surprised when they find out a fee is charged for pollination. Don't
you get the honey they say!

Then they want to come and get a couple hives and then bring back after
pollination in their car, mini van or pickup .

I have always got hives for sale which I offer.

Maybe others on the list will give their observations & comments?

Bob