From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 09:13:26 +1300
>>David Eyre
>>My information says a temp of approx 50-55 degrees is ideal.

This temp (14 degs Celsius) varies from one honey to the next.  It is mostly
a function of decreasing temperature speeding up the crystallisation process
versus increasing viscosity slowing down the crystallisation process.  Where
the optimum point is, depends on other factors in the honey affecting
crystallising speed and viscosity.  Usually viscosity is mostly affected by
moisture but other factors can play a part, eg. a honey may be thixotropic
or some protein levels may affect viscosity etc.

>>        I have a question regarding creaming. My book says to avoid
>>stirring
>>in air! Why, does anyone know?

It may help speed the crystallisation process - small air bubbles giving a
nucleus for crystals to start on.  The downside of this is the air will rise
to the surface when the product warms up - looks gross!

>Gerry and the other Visels at
>  P.O.___, Swedish beekeeper, (my memory is around here someplace!) has a
[snip]
>  He says to stir IMMEDIATELY after the starter is added, or it will be
>destroyed.  It is restirred every 12 hours.  No comments on "adding air."

Stirring is (should be) done for two reasons.

1.  If there is any inconsistency in the crystal growth, (due to poor spread
of the original seed or starter in the mix) stiring helps to redistribute
new crystal matter to fresh uncrystallised liquid honey - improving the
consistency and speeding up the total process.

2.  The final consistency of the product is determined by the stirring (if
all other factors are equal)  If all the crystallisation is allowed to take
place without any stirring, then all the crystals will interlock together
and the final product will be very hard and difficult to use.  If the
product is stirred until all the available material for crystallisation is
used up, there will be no mechanical bonds between crystals and therefore
the product will be, and remain, totally soft.

If you have a very hard creamed honey, 40 seconds or so in the microwave for
500gms (time varies depending on power of microwave, ambient starting temp
of honey etc.) will break the crystal bonds and the product will soften up -
and not go hard again, even when stored in a refrigerator.  With no
microwave, keep at a few degrees above room temp. for 2-3 days to get the
same effect.

In New Zealand around 70% of table honey is sold as creamed. Annual per
capita consumption of honey is 1.95 kilos - around 5 lbs!!.  This compares
with consumption in Germany of 1.3 kgs, Australia .9 kgs and the US .54
kilos.  We think much of the reason for our high consumption of honey is due
to the N.Z. consumer's acceptance and usage of creamed honey.

Peter Bray,
Airborne Honey Ltd., PO Box 28, Leeston, New Zealand
Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569  [log in to unmask]