From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:45:42 -0400
James Fischer wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree at all with that approach as applied to the not
> terribly cold winters of Scotland (or Virginia, where I keep bees).  While an
> absorbent material of some sort may seem a good idea at first, I don't like
> it one bit in light of a long and expensive education in physics:

> d)  How MUCH absorbent material might one need?  If one does not
>      have enough, it would become saturated, which would be even
>      more of a mess than (b) or (c).  How much moisture do 50,000
>      bees generate?  I dunno.
>
> I want to get the moisture OUT of the hive as quickly as it is produced.
> I certainly do not want to keep moisture IN the hive, not even for a short
> period.

Homosoate is the material many of us use in Maine (it is the stuff in
some ceiling tiles). It is cut to the dimensions of an inner cover and
notched so it provides both ventilation and an upper bee exit. It
absorbs moisture from the hive but also dries so does not get completely
saturated but usually has a wet area over the innercover hole. That area
acts as a source of water in the winter and bees will chew on it to get
water.

Homosoate boards do work and cause none of the harmful effects noted. I
leave them on all year.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME