From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 03:01:15 -0400
I am pleased to note that Mr. David Fischer has posted to the list. I would
like to take the opportunity to ask him why Bayer has not released any
results of the samples taken about five years ago concerning levels of
imidacloprid in canola following treated potatoes.  Dr. Jim Kemp of the
U.P.E.I tells me that the samples are all still in a freezer and that Bayer
will not analyze them.  His initial investigation in New Brunswick the
previous year showed levels of imidacloprid in honey and pollen from bees on
canola following potatoes that were similar to the levels of thiamethoxam,
even though the canola had been seed treated with thiamethoxam, and the
imidacloprid was just being taken up from the soil treatment of the potatoes
the previous year.  That was just a very small sampling (and has never been
published to my knowledge).  But the sampling on my hives the following year
was extensive.  They followed the hives from blueberries into seed canola
pollination; they weighed them regularly, they took samples of bees, pollen,
honey, canola leaves, flowers, soil.  But unlike the previous study, which
found very low amounts in clover two years after potatoland treatment (which
has been very well used by Bayer) these results have never been made public.
 I gave free access to the researchers to use my hives in any way they felt
necessary, even modifying a few of my stands to make it easier for them to
weigh the hives.  I think Bayer should have to make those results public.

The issue is all the more important now because there is a growing movement
to plant canola after potatoes here.  It is not so much seed canola now, but
field canola.  They are planning to put in a crushing plant here on PEI very
soon, and the acreage is growing every year.

I welcome the opportunity to ask you directly about this, as I have posted
regarding this matter before on the bee-l.

Stan Sandler