From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 1994 16:53:30 -0700
Ok, time for a tough question.  The challenge:  sterilize bee equipment
in a manner that will kill all pathogens without damaging the combs or
leaving residuals that may affect bees (not just lethal, but also
sublethal effects).  Costs must be reasonable, but the need is for
ultra-sterile for a few hives, so we can afford a bit more than a
beekeeper with hundreds or thousands of hives.  Effectiveness without
complications is what we want.

ETO apparently works, but state and federal regs (for applicator safety) are
impediments and some of our applications may make this too hazardous.

Thermal sterilization also works and leaves no residuals, but
temperatures are critical and combs can't contain honey or pollen, or at
least very much.

Acetic acid might be okay for some purposes - has anyone ever tried this
since Bailey's 1957 paper??

Irradiation should work, but not sure of where I have to go to get this
done in the vicinity of MT.

Chlorine Dioxide is used in some micro- and animal labs.  It supposedly
is used to bleach wax - is this before being sold for candles, etc., or
is foundation bleached???  If foundation is bleached, does this mean it
might work for combs???  Any guesses???

Paracetic acid also is used in labs.  It breaks down to acetic acid.
Might be more potent with the same residual.

Anyway, we need something that can sterilize the equipment in a
non-destructive manner, be more or less foolproof, and work as a
sterilant for a broad array of contaminants.

Oh yes, none of the equipment will ever be used for honey production.

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of MT