From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:23:18 -0400
>yellow and were killed.  Therefore it is highly unlikely that there is
>any so-called "AHB" genetic material in the Buckfast.
>
>But since they are a hybrid, you can expect strange characteristics
>to emerge when they supersede, just as you do if you plant the seeds
>from any hybrid vegetable to not produce the same quality, or if those
>plants cross with still another variety.  You will get stunted, disease
>susceptible plants that are nothing like the hybrid.

My question. Why is there no mention of 'strange characteristics' when you
buy 'Buckfast'. The information I was givern was the the strain had been
fixed and that "Buckfast' bees are gentle etc. If that is not the case, it
suggests that a buyer is on a constant roundabout and has to replace with
'Buckfast'.
        Even in a perfect world some of those regressive genes are bound to
'leak' to surrounding bees, making for more and more agression. Which is
what is happening!
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
ON. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone (705) 326 7171
Fax      (705) 325 3461
David Eyre. Owner.