From:
"Karen D. Oland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:17:39 -0400
> Any suggestions?  The tree can't be cut down nor is enlarging the
> entrance hole an option.  I can't put a mesh cone over the
> entrance and give the returning bees an alternative hive.

You might suggest they have an arborist look at the tree. With a colony
inside, that means large empty space as well. It may be only a matter of
time (and not a long time) before the tree has to be removed to prevent a
hazard to the homeowner (while bees 30 feet up in the air are not, esp
compared to having a large tree hit the house or a car).  If the tree needs
to be removed, no reason not to expand the opening and take the comb that
way.  If the bees can be removed over time, add an escape and capture the
bees leaving the colony over the next few weeks.

> The homeowner wants the colony dead/removed NOW.  I can bee vac
> most of the bees coming and going at the entrance and within the
> first few inches inside.  Then, I can seal the entrance with
> expandable polyurethane foam to satisfy the homeowner.  But I
> wish there was a way to remove the combs and the rest of the bees.

It is possible that adding the expanding insulation will help prevent rot in
the tree and extend its life (that would be a study from after I tried to
keep up in this field), but I really doubt it. What I have seen is that the
hollow spot provides a weakness and when a large enough storm/wind drops by,
the tree breaks in half (TN has had amply evidence of this lately, with
extensive storm damage in several areas ... we were lucky in that we only
had broken limbs CLOSE TO several buildings and thru the roof of one off
site storage building .. others were not).  When hurricane level rains come
thru first, we see trees uprooted, but many times, the trees break in half
at a weak spot in the main trunk rather than large limbs breaking off ... on
did this and nearly hit our house about a year after we built, a 30"
diameter trunk broken in half, many other trees nearby with no damage).

Karen

---