From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:34:31 -0600
>      How can one tell the difference between simple(?) queenlessness
>      and advanced varroa infestation?  I intend to reinspect the
>      broodless hive this weekend and will do the apistran test for
>      varroa unless I see that all is normal.

Varroa is one of the easiest bee maladies to diagnose -- by far.

You can see them with the naked eye.  Just uncap some drone brood and
look for reddish specs.

If negative, then you are likely not at a terminal stage, but a closer
check may be in order:

Take 100 live bees and put them in a glass jar and spray in a puff of
starting ether from and aerosol can.  Put on the lid and roll the jar
around.  Watch for any mites (red specs) that stick to the outside of
the jar.

Or put 100 live  bees or so in a pill vial -- the kind with straight
sides and a push on lid.  Add some alcohol and shake for a few
minutes, then pour thru a sieve.

Any mites will be in the broth and obvious when it is poured on a
paper towel.  Count the mites and you have your infestation per 100
bees.

Or, if you hate to kill any of your bees, place apistan (according
to the instructions on the container) in the hive for 24 hours and
place a sticky board under by pushing it in the entrance.

If there is a flow on, you might be forgiven for taking the supers
away for the day and replacing them -- if necessary -- with some
temporary boxes, then returning them after the test.

The result when observed with a magnifying glass is the '24 hour mite
drop'.  Don't forget to remove the strips after.

These are all good methods of reassuring yourself, and there are more
too...

It is so easy that there is really no excuse for not sampling
regularly.

I wonder why I never seem to get around to it myself???

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>