From:
Michael Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 1995 23:20:52 -0500
One speaks of using drones in the local area to mate with the newly
emerged queens.  Here in southern/central Texas, that is no longer a
viable method.  We now have feral colonies of the 'Aficanized' bee and
knowing that the Africanized drones fly faster than the European drones,
we really run the risk of Africanizing our hives.  In remote areas that
might not be a problem, but in the more populus areas that can really
have a negative effect on the local community and on the reputation of
bee keepers in general.  Known genetic backgrounds of the queens we use
for requeening is just about requisit in this area now.  As I drive some
state roads between Houston, Texas and Austin, I see bait hives put up by
the roads in an effort to track the progress of the 'African' variety.
MIKE    [log in to unmask]