From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:38:34 -0400
>In #2, it seems that the bees need to adjust their 'expectations' if such a
> behavior exists in bees.  The overwintered MT bees work at cold temps
>because they have to to get things going, support brood, etc. in our cold
>springs.  If they wait for hot temps, they're going to starve.  The  bees from
>CA have already had warm to hot weather.  They appear to be  'waiting' for
>the sun to come out, thing warm up, before foraging.  After a  few days to a
>couple of weeks, they seem to get the point - its NOT GOING to get  hot.

Or, perhaps, in that time the older forage bees die off, to be replaced by new forage bees, which have only known the new, colder conditions, and, so, don't have to acclimate.  If even a few of the 'new' bees start flying earlier, which would happen as they gradually replace the older ones, it could appear that the whole group was foraging earlier.  In a sense the superorganism that is the colony 'learn's, while the individual cells, the bees, do not.

I have Dani California cranking on the system, so I may not be thinking straight.