From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:29:20 -0600
Please read below:
----------
> From: "C.R. Crowell" <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: QUIET SPRING
> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:51:26 -0500
>
>Mr. Slade is correct in that I was not following the prescribed
regimen. I
>was following a  suggestion from Richard Taylor in "Gleanings in Bee
Culture".

I cannot locate the above Richard Taylor document in the last 2 years
of Bee Culture, but am missing 2 issues.  Would Mr. Crowell mind
citing for us year, month, and page so that some few may and be able
to read the original?   Thanks!

> My nectar flows seem to dwindle, not stop, in mid-summer, and really
>only cease in late fall.  This regimen allows me to avoid leaving the
strips
>on for a lengthymid-summer period while the bees are putting up honey
that can only be for
>their own consumption   .Clip

I fail to understand the logic of applying Apistan for only five days
in any possible context.  The idea is to have apistan moving through
the hive on bees and thus onto mites for 42-46 days consecutively, so
that twice, once in each of the two brood cycles, every single adult
mite will be exposed to the apistan at least once in each two
lifecycle exposure, and never escape exposure completely (while under
cover of the wax capping while in the bee is in its pupal stage).  The
directions however demand a treatment cycle of 42-46 days.

Bob Barnett
Birmingham, AL
N  34,  E  86